Thursday, December 6, 2012

Afro Blue



Afro Blue
 
I have been working on this for a while. It started as a blank canvas for many weeks and then I decided to go in my art studio and just stare at the canvas until something in my deep thoughts inspired me to paint. As I was standing I was listening to my "deep music" as it is called on the play list on my IPhone. That's when my mind and the music intertwined and I began to paint. I just started telling a story about one of the songs, well actually my favorite song by one of my favorite artists by the name of  Lizz Wright and the name of the song was actually Afro Blue. I know that this song has been performed and rewritten by many other jazz artists and it was originally released
on the album Mongo (Fantasy Records - 1959)  but there is something about this version that I love so much. I like the mystical sounds of the music as it is matched with the sultry tones of Lizz's voice. She truly is a wonderful and adaptable singer. I love her music.I wanted to put a link to the song with her singing it but I can't find one so I will just put the lyrics along with a link to the instrumental.
                                                                      
                                                                          Afro Blue
Dream of a land my soul is from
                                                        I hear a hand stroke on a drum
                                                                       Elegant boy
                                                                     Beautiful girl
                                                                    Dancing for joy
                                                                     Delicate whirl
                                                                   Shades of delight
                                                                         Cocoa hue
                                                                     Rich as a night
                                                                         Afro blue

                                                     Two young lovers dance face to face
                                                                  With undulating grace
                                                                   They gently sway
                                                                    Then slip away
                                                              To some secluded place

                                                                  Whispering trees
                                                                   Echo their sighs
                                                                   Passionate pleas
                                                                   Tender replies
                                                                 Shades of delight
                                                                      Cocoa hue
                                                                 Rich as the night
                                                                       Afro blue

                                                                 Lovers on flight
                                                                Upward they glide
                                                                 Burst at the height
                                                                   Slowly subside

                                             And my slumbering fantasy assumes reality
                                                          Until it seems it's not a dream
                                                                The two are you and me
                                                                     Shades of delight
                                                                         Cocoa hue
                                                                    Rich as the night
                                                                        Afro blue



 
 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you painting again. This is great. Sorry I didn't get back to the comment you left about Illustration Friday.The word this week is "New". I posted my picture hope you join in.fourborne.blogspot.com/2012/12/if-new

    ReplyDelete